As you set your resolutions for 2020, consider incorporating yoga into your fitness regime! Consider trying different classes at a yoga studio or gym and then practice at home a few minutes every day!
Derived from the Sanskrit word “yuji,” meaning yoke or union, yoga is an ancient practice that brings together mind and body. It incorporates breathing exercises, meditation and poses designed to encourage relaxation and reduce stress. Personally, I have experienced many benefits physically, mentally & emotionally! I love it!
Here are potential health benefits of yoga
- May reduce stress by decreasing secretion of cortisol, the primary stress hormone
- May relieve anxiety & PTSD by emphasizing importance of being present in the moment
- May reduce Inflammation & chronic pain
- May improve heart health by pumping more blood throughout your body
- May reduce depression because your mood is enhanced
- May improve sleep by triggering melatonin
- May improve flexibility and balance
- May improve breathing which accelerates oxygen to your brain, lungs, heart
- May increase strength
- May improves quality of life as you feel more relaxed